Tuesday 4 February 2014

My Favourite Turkish Dessert

Turkish desserts are extremely sweet, and even for me with a sweet tooth, are a little bit too sweet!

But there is one dessert that I find irresistible and that is Baklava.

Baklava is made from a number of layers of filo pastry, nuts, butter and sugar.  I believe most Baklava is made with 40 layers of the pastry, but in one area of Turkey, Beypazari, it is made with 80 layers of pastry.  I haven't tried this yet, but I certainly hope to!  Baklava from Gaziantep is also very famous, but right now I have to make do with good old Ankara Baklava.

The pastry is layered with the nuts and butter, and then sweetened with syrup or honey, making the bottom of the Baklava sticky and very sweet, and absolutely delicious!

I have tried different varieties of Baklava and last week on my day off we went to a local patisserie to have some Baklava with Turkish coffee.





It was so good, and we also had some delicious Baklava for Thanksgiving in November.



So there are many types of Baklava and I think they are all as tasty as each other.  I'm always looking forward to my next piece. Its very strange as I am wheat and dairy intolerant, but I haven't had any reaction to Baklava, I am so relieved as I just love it.   I just wish I could make it, but it looks too difficult for this cooking novice.

No comments:

Post a Comment