Friday 31 January 2014

Turkish Food

In a lot of my classes we start talking about food and I am often asked if I like Turkish food, and the answer is always yes.  

What isn't there to like about the food in Turkey, everything tastes so good, the fruit and vegetables have good flavour, and the meals always seem to be prepared so well.  Of course I do miss some of the food in the UK, especially my Mum's cooking.  I am not a very good cook, but I think my cooking is getting slightly better, and I want to learn how to cook some of the Turkish dishes.

One of my students asked me if I had tried Cigkofte the other day, and I replied no.  The same student had told me when I first arrived in Ankara, this was something I should try, so I think she was a little disappointed in me!

Also each time I go to a new city, I am asked if I tried the dish that the city is famous for.  Each area of Turkey has a speciality, maybe a different type of kebab, or a dessert or something else.  So it is time to try new foods and I aim to try something new every couple of weeks and blog about it, I will also blog about some of my favourite meals and desserts that I eat on a regular basis.  I have my favourite kebab and simit shops, so time to share them with you.

When (if) I have success in cooking a Turkish meal, I will also share it with you.

Food is very important to Turkish people and they are very proud of the different food they serve, and rightly so.

I think the first blog will be about one of my favourite desserts, Baklava.  so watch this space....



No comments:

Post a Comment