Friday 24 January 2014

Turkey and Sport

Sport is very important to most Turkish people, especially football.  I think I am asked in every class which Turkish football team I support, and my answer is always I don't support any team in Turkey or the UK.  There is always a look of horror and surprise.

Some students tell me there are three main football teams in Turkey,  Fenerbahce, Galatasaray and Besiktas, but others say there are four adding Trabzonspor to the list.  I am told I should pick a team, so I generally tell them I choose Fethiyespor.  Fethiye is a place very close to my heart, so it seems right to support their team if I am to choose one!  And of course they had a famous win over Fenerbahce in December which I often remind my students. I don't know enough about Turkish football to choose a team on skill or anything, most people in Turkey follow the team that they were brought up supporting.  I don't have that and I don't really follow football in the UK either.

Apparently betting on the results of football matches is very popular here, and is a popular activity for the younger generation.  Betting on horses is popular among the older generation.

But of course being Welsh the sport close to my heart is rugby.  I would always catch the international matches cheering on my country, and the Six Nations is about to start soon (1st February).  I doubt I will get to watch a match in a bar in Ankara, but I will watch the matches that I can at home, with the Welsh flag around me (yes I brought my flag with me to Ankara).

The students always seem a little confused when I tell them about rugby 'Ah teacher, you mean American football.'  I then get the confused look as I try to explain the difference between rugby and American football.  I think they understand, or maybe they are just humouring me!

So although the sport close to my heart is my national sport of rugby, maybe I should maybe take in a Turkish football match sometime......

But until then I have the six nations to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment