Thursday 30 January 2014

Those Familiar Places

OK, so Ankara is a city that is so different to my small corner of North Wales.  The traffic is crazy, the city is busy and the people are so friendly even if communication is a problem, and with me it is quite a big problem.  Well I can now buy my fruit and vegetables at the market with a little more ease and confidence than when I attempted a few months ago.  The stallholders will always say hello to the strange foreigner walking around the market and when I approach their stalls they are so helpful.  A couple of them even attempt to teach me a couple of words, and are so happy when I use them the following week!

But amongst the craziness and unfamiliarity of the city, there are some familiar sights that make me think fondly of home.

A couple of months ago, my flatmate and I decided we would head off to that familiar blue and yellow building that we could see from where we go for a walk.  It was Ikea.  It didn't look too far, but looking at the bus route would take a couple of buses.  We got there with a little help and guidance from some Turkish gentlemen who took us right up to the right bus to get on.  The bus journey was a lot longer than expected, and at one point I thought we must have missed it, but you can't lose an Ikea, surely!?  Then I spotted it in the distance, and checked with a man on the bus, and thought he said get off at the next stop.  OK, looks like a bit of a walk but we did that and started walking.  As we reached Ikea so did the bus that we had just got off, and it stopped right outside.  Hmm OK we will remember that.  As soon as we got into the shop, we headed straight to the restaurant area.  Yes, same food options as the UK.  I know I shouldn't (being wheat and dairy intolerant) but I just couldn't resist the meatballs, hmm and maybe a slice of the almond cake.  Just like being in the UK.  We then headed off into the shop, and everything seemed so familiar, and just for a moment I forgot I was in Ankara.

Just across the way was Kipa (otherwise known as a Turkish Tesco).  I went in to see if they had gluten free pasta and I wasn't disappointed!  Its also strange seeing Tesco Finest range in exactly the same packaging but called Kipa Finest!

The same can be said for when we visit a local coffee shop.  Although I always preferred Costa Coffee in the UK, I very occasionally visited Starbucks.  There are quite a few Starbucks here, and I have visited a few times for my Soya Latte.  I still think I prefer the Turkish coffee shops though, but sometimes for that reminder of home it is OK.



I was also surprised and very happy when we came across a Cafe Nero at Ankara airport and of course we just had to have a coffee there.




Other familiar sights are 'Marks and Spencer', which is more expensive than the UK, but its understandable, but the styles, and more importantly the sizes are more familiar to me.  'The Body Shop' also have a few stores here in Ankara, and are a lot more expensive than the UK, but its nice to go for a browse.




Obviously we have the Fast Food places.  McDonald's, Burger King and Domino's all deliver to your home.  It amused me that you could call and order your Big Mac, and just wait for it to arrive.  I never would though as I can't stand the food in either McDonald's or Burger King!

No comments:

Post a Comment