Wednesday 12 February 2014

Why Turkey?

I am often asked the question 'Why Turkey?'.  My love for Turkey and all things Turkish goes back a few years when I visited Turkey for the first time.  I had always said that when I go on holiday I would always go somewhere different as there are so many places in the world to see.  Then I discovered Turkey!  I got my first taste of Turkey when I visited Kyrenia in North Cyprus, before this I hadn't really thought about visiting Turkey, but Kyrenia gave me a small taste of Turkey, so the next year I booked for mainland Turkey and the area of Fethiye.

As soon as I arrived there I felt at home and fell in love with the area.  The people there who have become very good friends, the relaxed atmosphere, the amazing food and the stunning sunsets.  I was in love straight away, and I knew I would be back there, and I was just a few months later.  This was in 2009, and I have kept returning to Calis Beach since then.

Calis Beach Sunset

Patara Beach


Kaya Koy

Calis Beach Sunset
Calis Beach feels like my second home, my friends treat me like a member of their family, and they really look after me when I am there.  I have favourite restaurants and bars, and for anyone visiting Fethiye I would recommend Mozaik Bahce for a taste of food from the Hatay region.  The other day my students told me I should try food from the Hatay area, and I said with a big smile that I had and I believe it is the best in Turkey!  The liver kebab is amazing, as is the pepper bread.  In Calis Beach Aroma restaurant is a favourite, it has something a little bit different from the rest of the restaurants on the seafront as it serves food with a Greek and Turkish influence and no rice and chips, which is what you get with most meals in Calis, it's definitely worth a try.  For a nice relaxed drink I enjoy going to Cinar Bar on the seafront, its very relaxed and you always receive a great welcome.

I have always found http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/ answers any questions I have about the Calis Beach and Fethiye area, and it has plenty of recommendations for hotels, restaurants and things to do.  Before my first visit to Calis Beach I used the forum to find out as much as I could about the area and I still use it.

I hope to visit Fethiye soon, but its a fair distance from Ankara, so a little bit difficult to go on my two days off, but as soon as I have a free week I will be there, and I will be sure to write a blog or two when I visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment