Friday 29 May 2015

Turkish Breakfast

Turkish people are very proud of their food, and quite rightly so.  I have enjoyed all of the food I've tried.  One of the most important meals is of course breakfast.  Sunday morning is an important day, where families and friends have a leisurely breakfast catching up on the weeks events.

On my recent visit to Sirince, I stayed at a local Pansiyon (Bed and Breakfast) and breakfast was included.  I wasn't really expecting much when I arrived as I was the only guest staying there, but I was asked what time I wanted breakfast, and I didn't think anything else about it.

The following morning I made my way to the terrace where my breakfast was to be served.  The view was amazing.


There was a woman setting my table, and I was amazed at how much food there was for one person.  This is a traditional village breakfast made up of cheese, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, honey with kaymak (similar to clotted cream), jam, olive oil, bread, eggs, sucuk (a type of sausage) and of course a big pot of tea.  I did't have to eat again until the evening!!



Since this breakfast I have had a couple of others, one in a local restaurant in part of Izmir, unfortunately I forgot to take photos until the food was half eaten, but it included the honey and kaymak, and some amazing Izmir tulum cheese (made from goats milk), and gozleme (a type of pancake)

The next breakfast I had was in a village called Birgi, and came on individual trays, so no fighting for anything.


I love the breakfast in Turkey, and it is something I will miss when I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment