Thursday 14 May 2015

Sirince

On a recent trip to Ephesus I stayed in the beautiful village of Sirince.  This village is a short dolmus ride from Selcuk along some twisting hilly roads, surrounded by fruit crops.

The fruit is put to good use in Sirince, as they make wine.  I visited one of the local wine sellers and had the opportunity to try a number of flavours including pomegranate, melon, sour cherry, strawberry, grape and peach and I have to say they were all pretty good, but I love all things pomegranate so that was my obvious choice to accompany my evening meal.

The village has around 600 inhabitants, but during the day it is very busy with busloads of tourists wanting to try the wine and also buy local products from the many shops.  Unfortunately the church was closed, and as you may be able to see from my photographs it was surrounded with scaffolding.

First thing in the morning the village awakens with the first tourists, and is buzzing throughout the day, until around 6.30pm when the last dolmus leaves.  The village then becomes a very quiet village again.  I stayed overnight and was amazed how quiet the village was in the evening, but I'd wanted somewhere peaceful and I certainly got it.

My pension (B&B) was a little way up the hill along a track.  I was woken up by the cockerels outside my bedroom window and a donkey braying across the fields.

I think the photos speak for themselves.  A stunning, peaceful and traditional village.

Not a bad view to enjoy breakfast from







Sirince High Street 






No comments:

Post a Comment