Friday 15 May 2015

Ephesus

A couple of weeks ago I visit the ancient Greek city of Ephesus.  I've been to Turkey so many times but this was my first visit to this popular tourist attraction.

I took a dolmus from Izmir's otogar (bus station), which only cost 10TL and just under an hour later we arrived in Selcuk.  The dolmus was located on the top floor of the otogar and you paid when you got on the bus.  The bus station in Selcuk is small, and very easy to navigate, and it was easy to catch another dolmus to the lower gate of Ephesus and only cost a few lira.

On arrival at Ephesus there were the usual tourist stalls selling overpriced goods, and through the hustle was the entrance gate to Ephesus.  A ticket cost 30TL.

Although I'm not a history fanatic, this place certainly has the wow factor.  So many pieces of history in one area.

Ephesus covers a large area, and there is so much to see.  If you are visiting in the height of the summer I'd advise against being there during the midday sun as there is very little shade.  I was there at the end of April and it was hot!  It was also very busy as the day trippers from the nearby resorts and cruise ships had arrived.  Also one mistake I made was just carrying a small amount of water.  There are shops at both gates, and there is some distance between them, so make sure you have enough water!!!



















No comments:

Post a Comment