Wednesday 3 December 2014

Settling into Izmir Life

I have been in Izmir for a few months, but internet has been limited.

When I arrived I was staying in temporary accommodation while I looked for my own place.  Finding a furnished flat is difficult in Izmir, they are in demand and the good ones are snapped up immediately.  I scoured the internet for hours each day in the hope of being the first one to view a good place.  I viewed a number of places, and none were suitable, or was I being too fussy??  I was getting disheartened when I saw a flat online, and there was a photo of the view, it was breath taking.  I had to have a look at this place.  I arranged a viewing for the next day (Saturday evening) and although it was on the top floor (70 stairs) I knew it was for me.  I'm sure you will agree the view is stunning!




The flat is situated at the top of a hill, but is easily reached by Metro (Izmir's easy to follow underground railway, there is only one line!!). The area is vibrant and has a traditional feel to it.  I haven't seen any other foreigners in this area as yet.

One of the first problems I had when I moved in was a large amount of hornets, or donkey bees as they are known as in Turkey.  I tried to find out from my landlady if there was a nest in the roof, but everything got lost in translation, it started out as her thinking I couldn't open the balcony door, so I had a full demonstration.  When I pointed to the roof, she thought I was trying to say that someone might try and get in through the roof, so I was taken to show how secure the building is! (I think I am now known as the crazy yabanci (foreigner)) So I have learnt to live with the 'Donkey Bees'.  They have the balcony from 10-3, and I have it the rest of the time!  I'm not sure where they come from but they only stick around for a few hours, so I live with it!

My washing machine broke, I was a little more successful in getting this across to the engineer.  It was quickly fixed and all is well.

I have finally got internet.  Again I was impressed with the efficiency, but this was shortlived.  Stage one was supposed to take 7 working days, but this morning (on day 1 of the 7), the doorbell rang, I was faced with a red faced man who had just conquered the 70 stairs.  'Hello, little English, Internet.'  Excellent, I let him in, he did his job, then he said 'I go now, I love you.'  Umm OK, I can't imagine BT engineers declaring their love for their customers!!  The modem was delivered a couple of days later, where the cheery engineer connected me, and said the internet signal would be with me that day.  Unfortunately that's where the efficiency ended.  It has taken a lot longer than the expected seven days, and each time I called them I was told 'There is a problem.'  Obviously!!

I have now settled into life in Izmir, the pace is more relaxed than Ankara that's for sure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment