Thursday 18 December 2014

Learning Turkish

Last year I wrote about my problems with learning Turkish, and unfortunately this isn't getting much better.
I relied on mime a lot of the time in Ankara, and it has failed me in Izmir, after trying to explain a few things to my landlady (Hornets, washing machine breakdown), so I'm now studying Turkish.

Unfortunately because of work commitments it's difficult for me to attend classes, so I am going down the self study route, with a couple of books, and post it notes stuck all around my flat, with new vocabulary.
I can remember vocabulary quite easily, but I'm having a big problem with grammar.

Last week I needed to pay an electric bill, but I wasn't sure where I could pay.  I was due to pay my rent at the estate agents, so I took my bill along with me.

I was given the usual glass of tea on my arrival and I took my electric bill out, waved it at them, and said 'Electric, para, nerede?' 'Electric, money, where?'  I sounded like a Turkish cave-woman, but they were so happy with my efforts.  'Excellent Turkish' they complimented me!

I don't worry about making mistakes and I am studying the grammar, but I am finally (very slowly) getting understood!!

No comments:

Post a Comment