Saturday 13 December 2014

Everybody needs good neighbours

After moving into my apartment in Izmir, I have met a few of my neighbours.  I live in a block of around 20 flats, and I'm situated right on the top floor, so I often pass my neighbour's doors and they are always willing to chat to the Yabanci (foreigner)!

The neighbours have been so welcoming even if I can't have a full conversation with them, and they often knock on the door with some food for me to try.  This is often fruit, but also last month I also had a few offerings of Asure.  Asure or Noah's Pudding is a dessert which is made of grains, fruits and nuts.  It is claimed that when Noah's ark came to rest on Mount Ararat, Noah's family celebrated with a special dish.  As they were running low on supplies they used what was remaining (grains, dried fruit etc) to make a dessert.  This is now what is known as Asure and every family has a different recipe.  Now it is made to celebrate the Ark's landing and shared with friends, family and neighbours.  Even for someone with a sweet tooth, it's very sweet!!

Some Asure from one of my neighbours


I was stopped in the street near my flat recently, I think it was one of my many neighbours, keen to know if I was settling in.  I assured her that I was  and she went merrily on their way.

My next door neighbour often knocks on my door (or wall if I don't answer straight away).  We have a short chat.  Last time she brought me a plate of melon and invited me round to her home for coffee.  When I'm a little bit more confident with my Turkish language skills I will go.

I have always found Turkish people to be very welcoming wherever I have visited, and I am so happy to be in my neighbourhood where they have welcomed me with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment