Thursday 5 June 2014

Fish and Raki

I am always asked if I have tried certain food or drink in Turkey, and one comes up every time.  'Do you like Raki?'.  My answer was always the same, 'No I don't like it.'  The strong aniseed flavour is too much for me, and I remember the only time I drank it and I felt quite ill the morning after.

I was told by students I was drinking it all wrong, and I should drink it slowly (and don't drink any other alcohol with it)  and its best with fish.  I still wasn't convinced, so when I was asked to go for fish and Raki I was still a little unsure, but I was willing to give it a go and be proved wrong!

We went to a fantastic restaurant in the Tunali area of Ankara (http://www.marmarisbalikcisi.com/) and our Turkish friends ordered the food (and Raki).

We started off with some cheese, and the Raki was poured, it had to be mixed with just the right amount of water (and no ice), and you drink it slowly, with the food.

Unfortunately I forgot my camera, so have no photos of the Raki, but one of my friends took some photos of the meal.

The fish that had been ordered was Lagos (grouper), and was cooked in salt, it was brought to the table and set alight.  Then the salt was chipped away before being served.






The fish tasted amazing and accompanied with salad and vegetables, it was a stunning meal, and yes I agree fish and Raki go well together.

We then had various fruit at the end of the meal which again was good with Raki, and then we finished the night with a Turkish coffee.

And the following morning??  I didn't feel like I had done previously when drinking Raki!  I felt great!

No comments:

Post a Comment