Thursday 13 August 2015

Goodbye Turkey

I'm a little late in posting this, as I've been back in Wales for a while, but two months ago I said goodbye to Turkey.

Turkey had been part of my life for two years, and I was sad to leave but the time felt right for me.  I'm taking some time out back in the UK and will use this time to decide on my next adventure.

Some time ago I wrote a blog about what I missed about the UK, so I think it's only right that I do the same for Turkey.

1.  People.  I miss my friends so much, it was very difficult to say goodbye to them.  The students I taught in Izmir and Ankara were fantastic.  I also had great colleagues in both of my Turkish locations.  The generosity of Turkish people is amazing.  I miss everyone.

2. Baklava.  My love for this Turkish dessert is well known.  I love all varieties of baklava, and I haven't been able to find any good baklava in North Wales.  If anyone knows of a UK supplier I'd be happy to hear.  I think it would be difficult to ship it to the UK from Turkey.

3.  The weather.  This goes without saying.  I've come back to Wales and a very poor summer.  Although the summer in Turkey is too hot for working, I crave a little bit of sunshine in my life.

4.  The food.  OK I've already talked about Baklava, but Turkish food is amazing.  From the gozleme, to the very tasty street food of rice with chick peas, topped with liver (or chicken).  Also the various kebabs, shish, adana, tantuni (from the Mersin area of Turkey).  I'm feeling hungry just thinking about it all.  There is also the rather yummy pide (think long pizza).  I maybe wheat and dairy intolerant, but strangely I didn't suffer from eating wheat as much as I do in the UK.

5. Leblebi.  These are a love it or hate it type of thing.  I hated them the first time I tried them, then I really started to love them.  Roasted chick peas, which are slightly salted (although you can also get a sweet variety), and often eaten in bars with a beer.  Again I would love to find them here in the UK.

I loved my two years in Turkey.  I had battles with the language (usually I lost the battle, but I tried hard) and tried lots of food, although I never tried Kokorec (intestines), Sogus (a sandwich of tongue, cheek and brain) or Manti (this was only because of the wheat and dairy content!).  I loved my apartment with an amazing sea view and was able to sit on the balcony watching the boats and cruise liners (when the hornets let me onto the balcony.  I miss the friendly street dogs, who just lazed about in the sun.  Most of all I miss the people.  Turkish people are so friendly and welcoming and keen to share their language and culture with you.

I don't know where my next adventure will take me, but I do know a part of my heart will always be in Turkey.

Thank you Turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment